Monday, September 20, 2004

Two FOs

That’s right. Two!

First up, my first garment FO. This is the ‘t-shirt’ that I made in beginning sewing class. Yes, I’m pitiful at sewing, so I took a class. This wasn’t so hard, though I don’t like ‘setting in’ sleeves; I’m horrible at it.

The pattern is Stretch and Sew, #310 (or #300, I can’t remember). The school supplied the pattern, and it looks like it is from about 1985. The hairstyles alone are amusing on that package.

I found the fabric at a Jo-Ann’s in Huntington Beach, (I think. Kitten, is that right?) because the local Jo-Ann’s (and other stores) had almost no knits. No, flowers aren’t usually my bag, but I liked this one. Here’s a close up so you can see the color/pattern better.
Here’s next up for class. We had to pick a pattern. Criteria? Easy (or very easy) elastic/drawstring waistband, shorts/pants/skirt. I am doing a pair of shorts, and maybe the tank top. I like the look of this pattern. I bought 2 yards of charcoal grey knit to make sure I had enough.
The other FO I have is the stripy NSB I’ve been working on. Yesterday I would have posted that I was boiling mad because I left the claret skein at Kitten’s house. Good thing I couldn’t get the camera cord working; I found the skein in my car last night. Whoops! But I finished it up last night, and wove in the ends, and here it is!
This one has a very wide strap. I wanted to try one with a wide strap, and then I decided that the strap should be in garter stitch to keep it from rolling. Well, between the garter stitch, the 5 stitch width, and the crocheted border, this thing has a monster strap! We’ll see how it felts up.

What a weekend! Got stuck in traffic going down to Kitten’s (I warned myself. Oh well.) for 2.5 hours. Got there, ate RtW’s wonderful fajitas (he’s a great cook) and played with the kidlets. Then, after they crashed, RtW and I drove around for a while before we picked Kitten up from work. A bit of friend time, and we all crashed. In the morning we had breakfast at an honest to god coffee shop ($2.99 breakfasts that had bacon, eggs, hash browns, toast, and sausage. Yes, I can feel my heart struggling for blood even now…) and went yarn shop hunting.
We found Knitty Gritty, which was alright, but not great. Selection wasn’t the best, but the lady behind the counter was nice; she let Kitten’s daughter RM go to the bathroom, and was very nice when the toddler said she wanted to stay with mommy. RM was a perfect angel, not touching anything or being loud. Well, until the counter lady gave her some candy; then she tried her very best to convince the counter lady that she needed some more. We left.

But Knitty Gritty isn’t what I’m looking for in a LYS. Too quiet. There were a few people around, but they were almost silent, and I didn’t get a really welcome feeling off of them. Like they were upset that some strangers came into their store. Hrumph.

I still bought a bit of yarn; two skeins of Plymouth Sunsette in colors 228 and 240.
Then we jetted over to Stitches in Time (which doesn’t seem to have a website) and I bought Kitten a bit of yarn, and myself four skeins of Patton’s Canadia to make hats for that craft show mid October. I’ll probably do something like the hat I made Kitten, with a cabled band.
Oh, and I grabbed the Fiber Trends "Patrick's Pumpkin" hat pattern; I never did figure out the leaves by myself...
That’s all for now. I’m going to try to whip out hats and such for that show. So far I have one thing done (needs felting still.) We’ll see how fast I can work.

1 Comments:

At September 21, 2004 at 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The t-shirt came out great! Love the fabric. The pattern you picked is quite cool. I saw the same styles in LL Bean (called Yoga clothing) for obnoxious prices. I would have picked grey too. Your NSB is very stylish. Can't wait to hear how it felted.
Your Secret Pal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home