Monday, August 23, 2004

So, I’m loose…


What am I talking about? Crocheting, mostly. I went to Kitten’s house this weekend to attend the Fabulous Fiber Fest (more on that below) and she convinced me to re-try crocheting. I’ve decided two things: my hate of crochet came from the patterns I was besieged with as a child, and that I am a loose woman.

When I was little, my grandmother used to crochet. A lot. Afghans, doilies, doll clothes. Most of it was very… um, kitschy. Ruffelly pink and white toilet paper covers. Barbie outfits that made her look as if she was wrapped in thick rope. The afghans, I admit, are lovely, and I use them to this day.

Now, Kitten crochets. When we hang out, I see her stuff and think she’s a fluke, creating things I like from crochet. But I don’t go pick up a hook and try it out. Remember, in my mind, crochet is still Barbie-rope-bondage and hidden-TP.

This weekend I broke that mold in my mind.

I tried Scrumbling (which was fun), and I started a bucket hat in crochet. Which is where I found out I am loose.

Kitten knits/crochets very tightly. We started the same pattern with the same yarn. She’s using a “I” hook, and I’ve got a “J” because that’s what I scrounged up in her hook box. The pattern calls for a “G” or “H” hook, and Kitten went up a size because she knows she crochets tightly. I don’t have a clue how the hook size actually translates to fabric density, so I’m just using what I found.

About 9 rows into the pattern, Kitten’s hat is about CD-Rom sized. Mine? Bigger than a dinner plate. No kidding. Hers would fit a kid, maybe, but mine is only suitable for a floppy Frisbee, or maybe a tablecloth. So I ripped it out and started over on a “G”, and am much happier.

Now, I know you want to hear about the Fiber fest, don’t you?

Kitten and I got to the deli where we were meeting people right about on time. Jen and La (of JenLa) showed up soon after, and I met all sorts of bloggers. MJ, (YummyYarn) has the most brilliant smile, and is a fantastic knitter. Even more fantastic is that she’s only been knitting for a few months. Unbelievable. Jen’s friend that she brought along was friken hilarious. I can’t remember all the blogs of the people I met, but we had a great time. Kitten drank way too much coffee, and I indulged in 2 cups of decaf. Shut up; that’s a lot of coffee for me. (PS: the Broadway Deli on the Santa Monica Promenade is overpriced and understaffed. We had fun anyway.)

The fiber fest itself was fun, even if it was a bit… dinky. The classes were being held at a different location that the market place, so it wasn’t that crowded. Kitten and I ran into a few people from Clan MacColin, the re-enactment group that I belong to.

The Carolina Homespun people were friendly and helpful, and I got to try out stuff.

I spun on a Fiona double treadle wheel, and I have to say that it was absolutely wonderful. Like… buttah. A bit odd looking, but my god… So, so nice. I could have sat there all day. I felt like an actual spinner. Of course, the Fiona has a price tag of over a grand, so it’s not like I actually will ever own one, but my god… so nice.

Now, there is no way in hell I could use that wheel at faire. In fact, even the double treadle version of the Traditional (the single treadle version is used in our group by several people) was ixnayed by the one of the rule-makers from Clan who happened to be there. What a shame.

I also tried “scrumbling” and liked it. Kitten and I made… I dunno what to call them. Scrumbles? We made one for the table, and then each made a second one to take to Kitten’s kids. Ok, they never made it to the kids, but I love my little ameba like furball thing.

We left the Fiber fest happy, and headed back to Kitten's. The rest of the weekend passed in a kind of haze… I don’t remember everything, but I do know I finally felted my not-Sophie bag.

Here’s the before and after:


And here's a close up of the knitted fabric:


The end result is just about perfect. I want to add some pockets (net pockets. Like those cargo nets in cars.) to the inside for my phone and wallet, but otherwise it’s great.

Sewing class tonight; I’m going to make my very first garment! Wish me luck…


8 Comments:

At August 23, 2004 at 4:20 PM, Blogger jenifleur said...

Oh, I do like the bag all felted. Really nice to meet you in person! When is your next reenactment event-maybe we'll be there and we can spin together?

 
At August 23, 2004 at 5:58 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I like the colours of your Sophie!

 
At August 23, 2004 at 5:58 PM, Blogger Wendy said...

I like the colours of your Sophie!

 
At August 24, 2004 at 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mouse,

It was great meeting you and Kitten! Deli has always been overpriced, and service has always been lousy on weekends. Kristin was hilarious, wasn't she? She should drink more coffee. Thanks for the Reese's Fleeces, I'm going to make a great toasty scarf with it!

MJ

 
At August 24, 2004 at 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a fun time was had by all. The wheel is lovely.
Keep at the crochet. I learned in 4th grade as a class project. It took me forever to get consistent with the stitches. They were loose for so long. Now I only use it for edging. I too have not so fond memories of the old fashioned crochet items, particularly a hideous granny square vest in orange.
Your Secret Pal

 
At August 24, 2004 at 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time at Fiberfest. So did I! I went on Sunday, as it was the only day I could attend.(had to go to fun Tribal dance event in Montclair on Saturday)
It was small, true, but it is the first year, and i think next year will be even better. I had long ago given up on any kind of 'wooly fest' here in Southern California, but things are looking up! I bought yarn at the 'Chasing rainbows' stand, and a felting book at the stall you had fun at. Then i had lunch at the Kings head in Santa Monica; left very full after Cornish Pasty,followed by rhubarb crumble with custard. Yum! P.S.Do you still have e-mail? I e-mailed you recently but haven't had a reply. Chris 8-)

 
At August 25, 2004 at 8:42 AM, Blogger Lindsey said...

Hey chris!

I don't know if this will email you or what, but I don't have your blog/email...

Hotmail might have eaten my email. try "Lindsey.Robbins_removeATremove_gmail.com"

 
At August 25, 2004 at 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK.This is probably bad, as it's off topic etc but the e-mail addy didn't work, so here's mine. spottea@earthlink.net. Looking forward to hearing from you. Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home